   English dictionary in XML!

  • From: Michael Dyck <jmdyck@netcom.ca>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:41:42 -0700

Two months ago, I wrote:
> MICRA, Inc. (http://humanities.uchicago.edu/homes/MICRA/) is working on a
> freely-available online knowledge base, which currently includes a
> marked-up version of Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (G&C Merriam
> Co., 1913, edited by Noah Porter), with over 100,000 headwords. It's still
> a work in progress: many of the pronunciations and Greek etymologies are
> missing, and it needs a lot of proof-reading, but it's a huge start. (It's
> the basis for a searchable dictionary at
> http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/webster.form.html, hosted by
> the University of Chicago's ARTFL Project.)
>
> Now [the source files] are not in XML format, but they're close. I'd be
> willing to do the conversion, but I don't have the space to host the
> result.  Does anyone want to volunteer some web space?

Many people volunteered web space (thanks to you all); I chose Metalab at
the University of North Carolina. And now, I'm pleased to announce that I
have completed the conversion of the source files to XML, and the results
are available at http://metalab.unc.edu/webster/ .  The XML files total
about 52 megabytes, but you can download it as about 13 megabytes of zip
files. Please let me know if anything doesn't work, or if I've left out
something crucial.

Ker-plop!
Michael Dyck
jmdyck@netcom.ca