   XML ids and XSL keys

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:08:13 +0100

Hi,

I've been working on a DTD recently, and rejected the use of
ID and IDREF definitions for cross-referenced attributes largely
because of the reasons outlined in the XSL spec (12.2 Keys) -
IDs just don't seem to be flexible enough for all purposes.

XSL defines the xsl:key element which mitigates these
limitations by providing links between elements which
are not defined as ID/IDREF pairs.

My questions then (if anyone has the time to answer them :) are

1. what are the historic reasons for the current definition of
ID/IDREF/IDREFS attributes?

2. are there ever likely to be any plans to allow the definition
of attributes in a similar way to XSL keys - i.e. 'ensure that
this attribute has a unique value within the set of elements having
that attribute in the document'.

3. or is it that no-one has so far need this kind of functionality
at the document validation level - is it in fact something which should
be dealt with at the application level?

4. or have I missed something along the way in RDF/Schemas/...?

Thanks for any responses.

L.

    "Never Do With More, What Can Be Achieved With Less"
				---William of Occam
Leigh Dodds                             Eml:  ldodds@ingenta.com
ingenta ltd                             Tel:  +44 1225 826619
BUCS Building, University of Bath       Fax:  +44 1225 826283

HomePage :				 	http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccslrd/
WebLog   :			   http://my.userland.com/viewChannel$1079