   Re: CDATA Section

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: Simon.Gordon@swi.galileo.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

Gordon, Simon scripsit:

> > <?xml version='1.0'?>
> > <!DOCTYPE TEST [
> > <!ELEMENT TEST (CDATA)>

The problem is with this line, which says that TEST elements must contain
a single *element* whose name is "CDATA".  This has nothing to do with
CDATA sections.

> > Warning: CDATA section not allowed here
> >  in unnamed entity at line 5 char 16 of file:test.xml

Quite right; your document is invalid because your TEST element
contains character data instead of an element named CDATA.

> > PS. Just tried <!ELEMENT TEST {#PCDATA)> and removing the DOCTYPE section
> > altogether. The former passes the validation test and the latter passes
> > the well-formedness test (rxp -xs test.xml)!

And rightly so.  You cannot *compel* the content of an element to be
a CDATA section or not by using DTD-based validation.  Elements declared
with #PCDATA content may express that content with or without
CDATA sections.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin