   Re: Is this Impossible !!

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@mitretek.org>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:19:56 -0400

From: AlanM <AlanM@SYNECTICS.Soft.net>

>Hi guys,
>Since speed is criteria is it faster to send Queries to the server in SQL or
>XML. If sent in XML we will have to parse it and then convert it into SQL
>again, which may slow down the process.

"Speed" is relative. If the query is complex and there is a lot of data, the
time for the database to return the results will probably dominate the response
time.  If so, the time to convert into/out of XML would be unimportant.
Conversely, if the normal queries got a very quick return from the database, the
XML-query-conversion time might win.  Also, the time to connect to the database
could be significant.  So there might be more than one answer to this, depending
on your particular case.

As an aside, there have been a number of efforts in the past to specify SQL as a
general query language independent of any type of database.  So it is not
unreasonable to think of using it instead of XPATH strings, whatever the form of
the data storage. Of course, either translating SQL into XPATH strings or vice
versa is going to be a substantial effort for general or complex queries, no
matter how you slice it.

Thomas Passin