   Re: "Multiple" Namespaces? (but NOT for HTML)

  • From: Walter Underwood <wunder@infoseek.com>
  • To: John Robert Gardner <jrgardn@emory.edu>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:41:18 -0800

At 12:08 PM 10/22/99 -0400, John Robert Gardner wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>One of the goals of our project--so kindly written up by Robin at
>http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/atlas.html--is to allow the searching of
>our records (which will be linked to XML instances of the articles in gif,
>then later in keyed/tagged text) from a variety of existing search
>interfaces, as transparently as possible.  In other words, someone using
>DC can search for articles where Creator is Tillich, while someone using
>GILS can search for Originator as Tillich, and so on.

It may be that markup is not the right hammer for this problem.
Our search engine handles multiple DTDs by mapping the elements
into common search meta data elements.

   DC:Creator      -> author
   GILS:Originator -> author
   TEI:docAuthor   -> author

and so on. So the documents can remain legal and "pure" with
respect to TEI or GILS, but users can search them with a
common model.

In a sense, this is the same as having separate style sheets for
each format, but making them all look the same. You could even
consider making a search-specific style sheet (XSLT-only) which
transformed each DTD into the common search form. Whether it
is implemented with a literal style sheet or not, that is a
useful model for thinking about it. If there are separate
sets of meta data elements (Dublin Core, GILS, US-MARC), then
you'd need a separate transformation for each.

Ultraseek Server doesn't implement it that way, partly because
XSLT didn't yet exist at the time, and mostly because the
indexer has no other use for a DOM, and SAX-style stream/event
parsing is more efficient for our purposes.

At first glance, it sounds like Ultraseek Server might already
implement what you want, so it is at least worth checking it
out. If you want more details about our XML support, I wrote
it, so you can ask me.

And I like the idea of "Creator is Tillich". Shouldn't that
be "Ground of Creator is Tillich"?

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood