   Parameter entities for DTD modularity (was: Re: Multiple docs in 'wrappe

  • From: "John Tigue" <john.tigue@tigue.com>
  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:16:57 -0700

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> > Q2-I'd like to use some common fragments in several
> > different documents, preferably without replicating
> > the definition in each DTD. Can I set up a DTD fragment
> > and then refer to it from within my document DTD, if so how?
>
> [Mark Birbeck]
> I think XLink may be better. Use an XPath to refer to the
> nodes you want to include, and then get you server to
> 'include' the data before it writes out the containing
> document.

Another alternative could be implemented now based solely on
XML 1.0. Consider using external parameter entity references.
The DTD "fragment" would get included in the main doc's DTD.
See the report entitled "W3C XML Specification DTD" for a
well documented case study in the use of parameter entities
in XML DTDs:
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report.htm

-John