   Re: Undeclared namespace

  • From: crism@exemplary.net (Christopher R. Maden)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:35:55 -0700

[Thomas B. Passin]
>Get rid of the "exp:" in the element definitions.  They are not part of
>the element names, they are part of the namespace, which is different.
>Replace with the following in the DTD:
>
>Also, get rid of the xmlns:exp attribute in the DTD.  The namespace
>declaration is not an ordinary attribute even though it looks like one.
>Declaring it in the DTD will not cause the experience element to use the
>exp: namespace.  You must include it in the actual <experience> element
>like so:

Your examples parse, but do not do what the original questioner was asking
about (produce a valid document).

DTDs were developed before namespaces, and the two don't play particularly
well together; to a DTD, a namespace declaration *is* an attribute.
Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to make a namespace document valid; it
can be done, but it's a bit difficult.  Moreover, I think the original
poster was using MSIE 5, which adds the odd quirk that all namespace
declarations must be declared in the DTD as #FIXED attributes.

Anand, can you post the whole (short) document and DTD, along with MSIE's error?

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Exemplary Technologies