   NOT SML but XML-for-data and business

  • From: Shaw Tim <tshw@capitalmarketscompany.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:21:08 +0100

I am an Application tool/framework developer/integrator. I sit (sort of)
half-way between XML Parser-writers and XML tool-vendors.

I developed a pseudo-DOM system, using the DocumentHandler mechanism of any
available SAX parser, which creates 'lightweight' DOM objects specifically
designed for data-processing. The DOM objects implement the required
interface, but not all of the methods 'do' things. Another set of interfaces
provides a 'data-oriented' view on the DOM structures (and it is this which
the lwDOM is optimised for). This allows me to use DOM-based tools (XSLT
etc), but removes the neccessity for programmers to learn/use the DOM
directly.

I see XML Schema (among other things) as providing great opportunities in
this domain - data-types/constraints/ranges etc., but I don't have a clear
view of how this will be integrated.

I have 3 immediate questions (not all of which need to be answered at once
:-) :
1) how are the (real) XML developers approaching XML Schema? Will it be
transparent to applications, and just constrain the data as per DTD's or
will the meta-data be available - if so, in what form?
2) given the fragmentation of DTD definitions in any given market (mine
particularly with FpML, FIXML, FinML, BizTalk etc.) is anyone addressing
general tools for mapping between these - and what are the issues that are
being tackled?
3) are there any discussions going on about how to map between different
formats programatically? I can imagine RDF being used, but then there needs
to be agreement on meta-meta-data(!) - and I can't imagine (see 2 above)
people agreeing on anything much when it's a core business differentiator
(read tie-in/revenue opportunity) to have a proprietary format.

Thanks

tim
The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are	not
an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email.
The Capital Markets Company.

http://www.capitalmarketscompany.com