   RE: Some questions

  • From: "Jeffrey E. Sussna" <jes@kuantech.com>
  • To: "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:36:33 -0800

As an RDF user, I agree with all comments about the complexity of its syntax
and the specification itself. I spent about a month reading and rereading
the RDF spec before I concluded it really was as conceptually simple as it
had appeared on first reading.

On the subject of its potential, I partly agree and partly disagree. Yes,
RDF does move things up the semantic food chain. Yes, XML is kind of like a
good orthogonal machine instruction set, which needs 3G, 4G, and 5G
languages on top of it. But I still see RDF as being useful for metadata,
not for every kind of object-oriented conversation you'd want to have. I
wouldn't consider RDF at the same level as CORBA, but perhaps part of an
overall solution.

Jeff