   RE: INTERFACE {was SGML, XML and SML, ugh!}

  • From: Jerome McDonough <jmcdonou@library.berkeley.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:18:18 -0500

At 02:43 PM 12/2/99 -0500, Vane Lashua wrote:
>Around the same era that the mouse emerged, there was on the market a
>single-handed(?) encoding device whose speed was about the same as querty. I
>think I saw it in Byte. Anybody seen one lately?

Yes, they're alive and well.  The Twiddler (gotta love the name) is probably
the best known, as they've been written up a few times as the keyboard of
choice
for the people at MIT developing wearable computing gear.  See
www.handykey.com
for more info.  Other one-handed chording keyboards
available include CyKey from Bellaire Electronics (www.bellaire.demon.co.uk),
the
MonoManus from ElmEntry Enterprises (www.hankes.com/eee/index.htm) and the
Bat Personal Keyboard (www.infogrip.com).  Prices for these are typically
in the $150 - $200 U.S. range.

With practice, people using one handed chording keyboards can usually get
typing speeds approaching 60 wpm, which is about the low-end of professional
touch-typing speeds on QWERTY boards.

Jerome McDonough -- jmcdonou@library.Berkeley.EDU  |  (......)
Library Systems Office, 386 Doe, U.C. Berkeley     |  \ *  * /
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000    (510) 642-5168          |  \  <>  /
"Well, it looks easy enough...."                   |   \ -- /  SGNORMPF!!!
         -- From the Famous Last Words file        |    ||||