   RE: Object-oriented serialization (Was Re: Some questions)

  • From: Vane Lashua <vlashua@RSGsystems.com>
  • To: 'Colas Nahaboo' <Colas.Nahaboo@sophia.inria.fr>, Matthew Gertner <matthew@praxis.cz>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:03:27 -0500

I think you're mixing apples and oranges.

An even simpler declaration of your example below -- and correct in XML --
would be:

<Point value="12in,2cm;RFFx,G0,B0" />

or:

<processingsegment lang="Java" content="Point {Length x; Length y; Color
color;};" />

or:

<? Java Point {Length x; Length y; Color color;}; ?>

XML is a storage medium. Java source code is a storage medium. XML may
contain Java source code syntax, as Java source code may contain XML syntax,
but both need processors to do more.

And by the way, SGML grew out of a world of extremely limited and narrowly
typed data processing  _and_ fixed length records. Data typing in SGML is as
simple as adding an attribute to an element declaration. It is up to a
processor to know how to use it. Just as it is in Java.

Vane