   Re: SAX/C++ vs. SAX2

  • From: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
  • To: Vilya Harvey <vilya@nag.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 08:10:29 -0700

> Just a thought: why not take a leaf out of the DOM's book and write the
> canonical version of the SAX interfaces in a language-neutral format like
> IDL? That way, bindings to a number of languages (including, but not
> limited to, C++ and Java) can be trivially derived by using the
> appropriate IDL-to-whatever converter.

Shh!  That's unwelcome talk around here.

I advocated using IDL for the official SAX definition a while back, but no-one
seemed to deem it worth considering.  Of course, we've fallen into exactly the
sort of trap that language-specific interface definition causes: people
translating to another language all do it differently, and the whole set of
discussions must reiterate for language Y.

The Python/XML group recently hashed out details of of a Python/DOM binding.
Because there is a developed Python/CORBA binding, we knew exactly how to
model several key components of the interface.  Note that this does not
involve taking up _any_ of CORBA's baggage except for interface definition,
for which IDL does a brilliant job.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants