   Re: nestable C/C++ XML parser?

  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • To: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:44:07 -0800 (PST)
On 7 Dec 1999, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> Sure, I too see a need for this, and I've even implemented it.
> However, this is something completely different from doing parsing on
> behalf of the parser. Parsing is turning a stream of bytes (or
> characters) into something higher-level, but this is not what you are
> talking about.
>
> As far as I understood him, the original poster wanted to do the
> parsing (that is, the reading and interpretation of bytes/chars) on
> behalf of expat.

I've got a hunch that what he really wanted to do was "pull" the
higher-level somethings rather than have them "pushed" at him, i.e. call a
function to get the next something rather than have the parser make a
callback, presumably because he needs to maintain some state and he'd like
to do it via flow-of-control rather than setting and testing state
variables.

If that's the case, he'd be better off building a wrapper that would feed
the input incrementally to expat and buffer up events, with the whole
thing driven by a "get next token" function that would return something
similar to a line of ESIS data.