   Re: XML Design Patterns

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:16:51 +0800

From: Fabio Arciniegas A. <l-arcini@uniandes.edu.co>
 >I also wrote something about XML and design patterns (I've been
working
>on the subject for some months now), it is focused on
>structural patterns in applications using XML for their persistence.
>I'm preparing an introductory article for some of those patterns for
>XML.com, so I hope you can see that soon. In the meantime you can see a
>little outdated(april 99) version of some of the ideas at:
>
>http://wwwest.uniandes.edu.co/~l-arcini/xmlablePattern.ps

This is a good paper. Toivo Lainevool has also sent me privately an
interesting
pattern too.

Fabio's XMLable pattern is more concerned with using Alexander Patterns
for
OO program design.  Toivo's pattern is more concerned with using
Alexander
Patterns for DTD design.  Liam's patterns are more concerned with using
Alexander Patterns for DTD implementation. My book is about design and
implementation and not at all about programs.

I look forward to Fabio releasing his work: it is important for fitting
XML into
mainstream OO discourse.  But the patterns I would call for are more in
the
area of what goes on inside a document: apart from the promise of
namespace,
XML has resulted in no advances in analytical methodologies, as far as I
can
see.  I hope that XML Schemas, Schematron, Express, AT&T's DSD, etc,
will
provide a base technology which people can use to explore new paradigm.
I think the two most useful areas are "patterns/assertion grammars" and
"cohesion and coupling analysis"; it is quite probably that the XML
Schema
language will allow class or inheritence in some form which again will
provide a more direct path from a high-level analysis to an
implementation.

Rick Jelliffe