   Re: need clarifications on XPath vs pattern match

  • From: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>
  • To: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:34:11 -0800

dider ph martin wrote:

> I always thought that the match attribute was taking XPath expression has
> value. I am wrong to think that?

1) No, you are not wrong to think that it CAN be an XPath expression
value.
But it does not HAVE to be -- it can simply be "matching" an element
name, or attribute name, etc.  An XPath expression can also be used to
make that "match".

then didier asked:
Am I wrong also to think that XPointer is
> using XPath expressions?

2)
As far as Xpointer using XPath...that IS something we can all agree on
(i hope :-)  By definition, XPointer extends XPath, yes?  But upon
reading the spec, XPointer appears to operate on the information set,
rather than strictly as an extension of an XPath expression....hmmmmm?
Does that mean that XPointer can be used to extend OTHER path languages?
Or at least, the path functions of other Path/query languages (such as
XQL)

So ....can XPointer be used to extend XQL, for example?  (or am i just
really confusing the issues at this point???)

I look forward to having both of these assumptions (assumptions on my
part anyway) confirmed or corrected :-)

thanks everybody,

lisa

http://www.finetuning.com