   RE: Status of SML?

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 00:10:59 -0800

>XML.COM asked me to write an article on SML: it is now up in
>the  current issue  www.xml.com

Nice article.  I just love good analogies. <g>

>I hope it is more conciliatory. During the XML development,
>many people who were antagonistic to SGML got a grudging
>respect for it, and many SGML people who doubted toy languages
>would work shifted their positions too. I expect the same thing
>can happen with SML: it may go in an unexpected direction.

It was.  Although SML is still heading in the same direction,
SML-DEV is going in unexpected directions.

First, SML-DEV is taking a more open, experimental attitude
toward new ideas.  While XML-DEV is a great place, I have
always felt that it was more of a dining room than a kitchen.
People could use SML-DEV to cook half-baked ideas into a more
presentable form before bringing it to the [dining] table.

Second, SML-DEV is going to be expanding our focus to other XML
related standards and release 'usage' specs.  SML itself will
probably be a 'usage' spec as well.  The idea is to formalize
common practices and to discourage unhealthy practices (i.e.
Safe-SAX).

For those who don't know where SML-DEV is located, here is a
pointer:

  http://www.egroups.com/group/sml-dev/info.html

Don't forget to bring your Ginsu knives. <g>

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com