   Re: Musing over Namespaces

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:23:17 -0600

David Megginson wrote:

> I've noticed this assumption behind a lot of the Namespace-related
> postings (not just Len's) -- I guess it would be a good thing to have
> a global resolution mechanism of some kind, but I'm surprised that
> people consider Namespaces incomplete without this.

My point is not that that namespaces are incomplete but that they
are complete.  The next step is not necessarily to provide uber
registration agnencies such as BizTalk or OASIS although nothing
prevents
such things.  I think the better solution is local registries which the
businesses create and administer.  It assuredly takes longer for such
things to be created, but by interfaces to such, the noise levels
are encapsulated and localized.  It is by process and definition of how
to open and close and structure processes, what I once called views
in the older days, that businesses execute and perform.  It is necessary
to tune these.  What we have with wall-to-wall markup systems is
the loose coupling by which such message based systems can both
operate openly but control visibility.  This is necessary because
all business processes and instruments have a degree of slop which has
to be there to cope with what the Boeing trainers called the
unknown-unknowns.

> No, that's too long -- I need something shorter and catchier.

Ok, but that was a quote from the early sixties folk.  Something
from the millenial folk:

"Only money matters.  Only money's gonna pay your bills.
Only money matters.  You got no money honey, you get no thrills."

Not shorter but newer. :-)

len