   Re: XML parsing memory overhead concerns (fwd)

  • From: Paul Miller <stele@fxtech.com>
  • To: "Clark C. Evans" <clark.evans@manhattanproject.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:35:24 -0500

> James posted the answer to your concern a while
> back... (it took me a while to grok what he
> was saying).   Sean's description is correct,
> only he didn't mention "how" you do it with expat.
> James describes this below.  You only send "part"
> of the XML stream at any given time, it fires
> callbacks filling up your event buffer, as
> Sean describes.  Evidently expat handles
> "restarting" mid element..

I read through Clark's writeup and I'm willing to give it another go. I
think the main problem will be handling the reentrancy caused by the
parser parsing a startElement, calling a handler in my interface, which
calls back into the parser to get some element data, which causes
another call to the parser to read more data, which causes the
characterData handler to be called, which fills in the buffer passed by
my code, and have it all unwind correctly. Perhaps this would be easier
to think about if I had a few beers first...

Another issue is expat's license. I'm not very familiar with the Mozilla
license, but presumably anything I build on top would also require the
Mozilla (or GPL) license. I personally feel the GPL license is too
restrictive. Does Mozilla let code be used in commercial products where
source code is not made available? That's my main requirement.

--
Paul Miller - stele@fxtech.com