   Re: SAX2: summary of Namespace-support arguments

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:19:56 +0100

there may well be reasons to bind the origianl literal prefix to the "name
instance". this is not one of them. serialization prettiness and speed can
well be viewed as diametrically opposed. where speed is of the utmost, then
all that matters is that serializer guarantee requisite prefix uniqueness and
the correctness of prefix/uri bindings. to this end, a storage model which
binds a unique token to a namespace instance and binds the namespace instance
to the "name instance" suffices.

where the namespace instance also statically binds its uri, this form of
"name" obviates the need for a directly binding the uri to the name.

where prettiness is important, an optional interface to the serializer can
well specify the prefixes to be used for the respective namespaces. in either
case, no "figuring out" is required.