   Re: SAX2: Namespace proposal

  • From: "Lauren Wood" <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:03:08 -0800

The DOM WG put some amount of time into designing the DOM
Level 2 namespace support to cover the case where a DOM Level 1
client application (e.g., script) runs in a DOM Level 2
implementation. So the script doesn't know about namespaces,
but the implementation does. It should still be possible for these
scripts to run properly. We didn't cover the converse case; scripts
that need Level 2 should ask whether the implementation supports
what they need first.

Another use case was to allow processes that don't use prefixes at
all (e.g., the XML is never serialized) to use the namespace
support in the DOM. The prefix is, in the DOM, considered to be
syntactic sugar, but the Level 1 constraints meant we couldn't lose
prefixes altogether.

I think it would be good for SAX2 to supply (perhaps as an
option) the information the DOM implementations need; I've had
quite a few questions about CDATA sections in SAX for example,
since the DOM exposes these and SAX1 doesn't.

Lauren