   RE: The per-element-type namespace partition

  • From: "Hunter, David" <dhunter@Mobility.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:02:23 -0500

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 4:45 PM

> That is equivalent to asserting that

> must always in all languages and in all applications be considered
> identical.  Which is not an unreasonable viewpoint.  But the WG at
> the time, after lengthy consideration, couldn't swallow it. -Tim

But it seems to be a fundamental point of view of the specs coming out of
the W3C, implied or otherwise.  Take XSLT, for example.  If I declare a
stylesheet, I do it like this:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <!--other stuff-->
</xsl:stylesheet>

Notice that there is no explicit namespace declared for the version
attribute, it's just assumed to be the same as the <stylesheet> element.
But, there is also a shorthand we can use for stylesheets with one template
that matches against "/", so I could do something like this:

<!--other stuff-->

in which case I *have* to declare the namespace of version explicitly.

Are there any specs coming out of the W3C that *don't* assume that

<whatever:element version="1.0" xmlns:whatever="whatever">
is identical to
<whatever:element whatever:version="1.0" xmlns:whatever="whatever">

?