   RE: Appending a Doctype node using Microsoft's XML COM interfaces

  • From: Robin Dahlstedt <Robin_Dahlstedt@pml.com>
  • To: 'XML-DEV' <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:40:56 -0800

>Im building an XML document in C++ using the COM interfaces provided by
>Microsoft. Does anybody know of a way to append the DOCTYPE
>declaration to the xml file? I believe that Microsoft purposefully left
this
>ability out.

And well they should, since the doctype attribute is read-only.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-core.html#i-Document

where it purposefully states:
"The DOM Level 1 does not support editing the Document Type Declaration,
therefore docType cannot be altered in any way."

James

Is my only option to manually open the file and put the DOCTYPE declaration
in it!?