   SAX2: Renaming DTDHandler

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:01:24 -0500 (EST)

In SAX 1.0, the DTDHandler reports only those declarations that the
XML 1.0 REC requires to be reported: notation declarations and
unparsed entity declarations.

In SAX2, we will be providing optional support for other types of DTD
declarations in the DeclHandler.  Unfortunately, that creates a lot of
opportunity for confusion, because of the way DTDHandler is named.

Since we're implementing SAX2 in a new package anyway, I'm interested
in hearing suggestions for renaming DTDHandler so that the name more
accurately describes its purpose (reporting notation and unparsed
entity declarations).  Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

DataHandler
DataTypeHandler
  Since unparsed entities and notations both have to do with non-XML
  data, this name is technically accurate.  Unfortunately, it will
  collide in the future with any support for the different data-type
  approach in XML Schemas.

NonXMLHandler
  Klunky, but usable.

BinaryHandler
  A little more confusing.

I know that the perfect name's out there somewhere.  Personally, I'd
make these declarations optional and dump them into DeclHandler with
the rest if I could, but the XML 1.0 REC is quite explicit on this
point.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/