   RE: No Standard way to reference XML Schema? Was Re: (Many) XML Schema

  • From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • To: "'Roger L. Costello'" <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:12:41 -0800

You misread.  There _is_ a standard way for a document to indicate the
schema set (perhaps several schemas) its element information items conform
to.  That is the function of the schemaLocation attribute.

What may be confusing you is that applications have the option to process a
document in ways not strictly mandated by those asserted schemas.  For
example, even today XML processors may elect to ignore an element's DOCTYPE
declaration. (See my other mails and also those of Henry Thompson for more
details.)