   Namespaces and Validating XML Parsers Question

  • From: "Bruce D. Nilo" <bruce@nilo.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:00:27 -0800

Apologies if this is a well understood question. I am recently slogging
through the XML specs and tools and have not really found anything
that sheds light on this question. I hope the answer is a simple one.

I believe I understand the rationale and syntax of namespaces for XML
application instances. However I can find nowhere any explanation
as to how a validating parser knows how to associate an element or
attribute that is in a specific namespace with the elements and
attributes of either an external or internal DTD reference. Am I
missing something here, or is the specification punting entirely on
the issue? It seems to me that either the application instance must
associate a namespace declaration with a specific DTD or the DTD
itself must declare its name. If this is not the case the XML parser
has a difficult job determining how to interpret the names in a namespace
with those of a number of referenced DTDs which have name collisions.

- Bruce