   RE: SAX2 Namespace Support

  • From: "Cox Andy" <cox_andy@bah.com>
  • To: "Leigh Dodds" <ldodds@ingenta.com>, "David Megginson" <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:36:32 -0500

The semantics of operator==() and equals() should match the concept that the
class represents.

If I understand the Namespaces spec [1] correctly, an identical URI (defined
in the spec as "exactly the same character-for-character") and an identical
local part imply an identical QName. According to the spec, "the prefix
functions only as a placeholder for a namespace name." [2]

The URI is the key. Even in the intro, the authors emphasize that the XML
version of namespaces "is not, mathematically speaking, a set."

One man's opinion...

Andy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#ns-qualnames