   Re: Basic XMLSchema questions

  • From: "Alan Santos" <asantos@odi.com>
  • To: "Brett McLaughlin" <bmclaugh@algx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:59:56 -0500

> I think you are better to do this sort of thing in raw Java.  Of course,
> I still haven't seen what you are trying to accomplish, so maybe that
> would help ;-)

I'm building something very similar to what you have described.

Here's a quick list of my requirements:
1) We need to be able to create/modify the contents of an OODBMS (Which is
either Java/C++ classes and instances, and more dynamic structures modeled
to look like a Java/c++ class/instance) in a non-programmatic manner

2) Dump/load the database contents to/from text

3) Ship data around via CORBA, RMI or http (We don't want to dictate the
transport mechanism) to clients written in an unknown language

4) Import data into various editors or viewers (including browsers).

Number 3 is the most critical, and also most useful to applications outside
my particular implementation.

So obviously I don't need to explain, but the big issue is the need to
verify that data described via XML is 'correct' (e.g. modeled classes
contain the correct members and members are the correct type) and uniform
across and within all documents that are used.

This was solved in the past by creating my own XMLschema like document. I
was hoping to implement in a more standard manner this time around.   I
think XMI is that standard manner (it's been submitted to the OMG), but it's
way more complex than I need, and it's about twice as long as the XML Schema
standard.  Sun is also doing something similar.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, but it may be better to take the
discussion of the list, as we may be straying from it's purpose, and this
list has enough traffic already :)

thanks,
alan