   Re: Namespaces and XSLT simplified syntax

  • From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@us.oracle.com>
  • To: <xsl-list@mulberrytech.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:39:59 -0800

Dan,

Using the simple form gives up some features to
achieve simplicity of representation for people
who want to continue using their existing HTML
editors to edit their "HTML page with data
plugged in" as they learn to exploit the basics
of XSLT.

As you've encountered, the key limitation
is that you cannot use "top-level" XSLT-namespace
elements like:

  xsl:import
  xsl:include
  xsl:strip-space
  xsl:preserve-space
  xsl:output
  xsl:key
  xsl:decimal-format
  xsl:namespace-alias
  xsl:attribute-set
  xsl:param

in a "simple form" stylesheet. The feeling in
the XSL Working Group was, if someone began
to "discover" the need for these facilities,
then they were venturing beyond the "simple-case"
stage, and at that point we could assume they
were mentally "ready" to learn about an
enclosing <xsl:stylesheet> element and what
<xsl:template> is used for.

=== Some Background ===

The "simple form" of an XSLT stylesheet -- known in
the spec as "Literal Result Element as Stylesheet"
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#result-element-stylesheet --
was conceived as a mechanism to allow someone familiar
with HTML to continue to use their familiar HTML
editing tools to work on stylesheets that only
need a single, root template. The feature was
designed as a smooth-slope introduction capability
to be able to help people who knew HTML begin to
use XSLT without understanding the Spec cover to cover.

One very common case that the "simple form" caters to,
is the one where someone is formatting database
query results into an HTML page. Many Ecommerce apps
are doing this, making use of XML/XSLT, a stylesheet
like:

      xsl:version="1.0">
      <!-- Imagine a "shopping cart" query -->
      <xsl:for-each select="ROWSET/ROW">
      </xsl:for-each>

This stylesheet can still edited using FrontPage,
DreamWeaver, etc. With the simple form, once you
teach HTML-savvy people that they:

  (1) Add an XSLT namespace declaration and
      xsl:version="1.0" to their <html> element, and
  (2) Combine <xsl:for-each> for looping and
      <xsl:value-of> to "plug in" dynamic data
  (3) Use /a/b/c "directory-like" notation to refer
      to elements in the source document (the way
      I explain the basics of XPath to beginners)

Then they can begin to get productive without
having to understand the XSLT spec cover to cover.
Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml