   Re: SAX2: Which license?

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:31:00 -0800

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 02:08 PM 1/10/00 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>
> >I'll take this as a (very well-reasoned) vote for leaving SAX2 in the
> >Public Domain, just like SAX1.  With SAX1, I made that decision rather
> >autocratically (I just did it), but I'd like to hear a range of
> >opinions before we commit to a license for SAX2.
>
> Yes, quite convincing.  The real problem we'd like to solve is, we'd
> like to try to prevent anyone who makes incompatible changes from still
> claiming it to be "SAX" and using the org.xml.sax package name.  Right?

 * can you define "incompatible change"? The typical Big Bad Company
approach is to add methods that don't break anything but "embraces and
extends". The problem is that we really like it when Small Virtuous
Companies do this.

 * would there be any benefit in a BBC :) making a SAX2 implementation
that truly broke all of the wonderful SAX2 tools out there? Is this a
case we are really worried about?

If this is worth doing then the way I would propose to do it would be to
tie the trademark to a test suite. I would be surprised if David was
actually willing to go to court over a test suite failure but it might
help us in trying to shame the company into doing the right thing.
When I'm gone, boxing will be nothing again.  The fans with the cigars
and the hats turned down'll be there, but no more housewives and
little men in the street and foreign presidents.  .... I was the
onliest boxer in history people asked questions like a senator.
            -- Muhammad Ali