   RE: Sterday morning mind games or News from Didier's lab

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Graham Moore" <gdm@stepuk.com>,"'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:31:04 -0500

Hi Graham,

Graham said:
The LISP approach has long interested me:

its not a great leap to imagine (I might not have matching brackets here..)

(xsl:template ((match booklist/item)(ID g34)))
  (!cdata (
	(make display-group
		(make box
			(literal "Is this weirdo??")
			(make rule)
			(make paragraph)
	(xsl:apply-templates ((select="."/)))

And then a mce to evaluate XML rather then having to blur XML parser with
LISP eval. The kinds of paradimgs that have been heavily researched in the
LISP/ Scheme environemnts such as continuations would, I believe, open us
some interesting possibilities.

Didier reply:
In fact this is mostly what DSSSL is doing today even in a simpler form
except for the query expression which is based on SDQL and which is not a
masterpiece of conciseness. One of the OpenJade team member played with the
idea of implementing an XPath parser in DSSSL so that we could  have an
expression like:

(query (xpath "booklist/item")
	(make display-group
		(make box
			(literal "Is this weirdo??")
			(make rule)
			(make paragraph

If you want to know more about the OpenJade project or experiment with
scheme based language you can go to: http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL.
OpenJade is now on the route of its third release since less then one year.

Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Web New York (http://www.mfweb.com)
Book to come soon: XML Pro published by Wrox Press
Products: http://www.netfolder.com