   Re: Costs of the W3C

  • From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
  • To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>,"xml-dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:45:32 -0500

At 11:16 AM 1/17/00 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:

>And in my experience, it *takes* that 20% just to stay on top of the
>issues so that when you say something, it's well-informed and useful.
>
>It's a problem. -T.

I'm not sure it's a "problem" per se, but a real need when you've got a
diverse group working with complex, cutting-edge technologies trying to put
out recommendations within (typically) 12-18 months.

If the group can't rely on all participants being reasonably up to speed,
work will only slow down.

Casual comments and input can be had in interest groups and fora like
www-<listname> for those that don't have the time.

If the time dedication requirement were removed, I'm not sure how that
*improves* the process (note that simply lowering the barrier to entry and
letting more people participate isn't a de facto "improvement").

Ann
---
Just Released! - HTML BY Example
Now shipping -  Mastering XML
Also in print:  Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes