   Re: String interning /servers

  • From: james anderson <james.anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:44:14 +0100

Perhaps this is yet another argument for a less primitive intern-basis
than that of String.intern().
a. One could well intern QNames rather than Strings, with the
concomitant ability to specify the strength of the reference. This
entails the "bothersome" static bindings, but i'm actually fond of them.
b. One could well structure the intern-map to reflect the namespace
partitions and flush qname-packages on an lru basis.

In all, the server life-span shouldn't stop one from interning.