   RE: XML & Databases

  • From: "Brandt Dainow" <bd@internet-etc.com>
  • To: "'LaShika M'" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:36:47 -0000

YEs - I've seen this demo'd, extracting from Oracle as XML to an XML Object
in an IE5 webpage which then uses JavaScript to write XSL into a 2nd
memory-resident XML object.  The XSL then transforms the XML into an SMTP
format which JavaScript then back to the server where it is outputted as a
pager message.  In actual fact, for your purposes JavaScript is overkill
unless you want to display in a web page.  You're better off using XSL to
transform the source XML output into the appropriate format for your
destination database.  XSL is easier to use and less bug-ridden than
JavaScript anyway.  You'll need a processor to support and run XSL, which
isn't easy to find.  I use JavaScript myself to do this simply because it's
around & works (sorta).  It only requires a couple of lines of code in
JavaScript to do this.  There's a little demo of using XSL with JavaScript
on our website at http://www.internet-etc.com/courses/xml/xsl/xslfset.htm.

Brandt Dainow
bd@internet-etc.com
Internet Etc Ltd