   RE: Alternatives to browsers (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:14:39 -0000

Didier PH Martin wrote,
> The important thing to see here, is that if we use a common
> format for either document or data, then data could be seen as a
> document. For instance, the marshaled content usually opaque can
> be seen as a document and displayed in a browser. Or a document
> could be transformed and fed to a CORBA/DCOM object. The end
> result versatility and a huge paradigm shift to do ;-)

Remember that my original question was, 'Why is _application_
specific_ markup preferable to an _application_specific_ binary
wire protocol'.

XML encoding gets you a common generic format, but it doesn't
get you semantic transparency. So, sure, you'd be able to
parse the contents of XML rpc packets, but that doesn't mean
you'll be able to do anything interesting with them.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews