   Re: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: "Steven Livingstone" <s.livingstone@btinternet.com>
  • To: "Ann Navarro" <ann@webgeek.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:52:10 -0000

> There's nothing in IE 5 functionality that is so compelling to *content*
> that it should be "required" to use.

Maybe not content on it's own, but it is *much* easier to develop for and
using XSL, providing different interfaces to different users it so easy.

>Many, many users and customers will
> happily surf away to something else if you try and force wholly
unnecessary
> artificial barriers at them.

I find the opposite true. There are so many developments out there now that
require far too many mouse clicks to get to the information you want. The
interfaces are just so bulky and it put's me off. Content if different from
applications which are much more difficult to develop for.

I experienced the problem today. IE 5 users had no probs and were quite
happy with the system. Other users were not happy with clicking all the
time. I am talking about Application dev right enough - content is likely
different !?

cheers
steven

Steven Livingstone
Glasgow, Scotland.
+44 (0) 7771 957 280

Professional XML
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861003110
Professional Site Server 3
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002696
Professional Site Server 3.0 Commerce Edition
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002505