   RE: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:20:25 -0500

Hi Eliotte,

[long post and answer to Dave...]

Didier replies:
Eliotte you made me think of something: the cost of publication and the type
of thing that can be on the web.

a) to test on all browsers increases publication cost or you have to find
the least common denominator to publish and not to use new features. Just
the minimum possible. This is a good strategy for maximum diffusion. This
also create a tremendous resistance to change and thus, like I said
previously, we are in big trouble with XML since the question now is: how
long will it take before we have enough XML browsers so that we are not
accused of being "not accessible".

b)Now what about the plethora of innovation that we are appearing now,
things like, desktop.com, halfbrain, etc that actually mostly work on IE
because Netscape still lag seriously when we speak of DHTM.

Yes Eliotte you made me think that the web will evolve at a much slower pace
now. Up to now, this was not the case with the old desktop paradigm.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web New York (http://www.mfweb.com)
Book to come soon: XML Pro published by Wrox Press
Products: http://www.netfolder.com

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)