   Re: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:49:27 -0600

David Brownell wrote:

> The web is about open and, dare I say it, _commodity_ standards.
>
> That's how it grew so quickly.  De-commoditizing would be a great
> short-term fix for some companies' market power, but bad long-term
> from the user perspectve due to a decreased ability for innovation
> to occur.

I've never said one should decommoditzize.  I say the commodities
must meet reliability testing or be consigned to the open market
of push cart vendors.  You can buy your food from the push cart,
and you may like that, but unless there is a health inspector about,
you've little to say about the food poisoning.

What some of us are saying is that we are voting with our feet
and we vote for innovation and reliability, that is why we
use IE and encourage or insist our customers do.  Universal
access is not only not always needed, it is often undesirable.

len

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)