   Re: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:51:01 -0600

You want me to say "use IE5 only".  I won't.  That would
ignore a lot of other useful tech.  There are however,
applications for which choosing only one browser.
insisting on it makes good engineering sense, and in fact,
is the responsible act.  What I will not work
with is the meaningless labels, "open", "commodity",
"universal" etc. because they have no provable results.
You don't know what they mean nor do I, and so really,
drop them from the conversation unless we have a
reference we can agree on.

Take this example:  Yoyodyne.  If I use a reference
to work out what this label means and predict results,
I would not use that company.  Why?  The reference says,
"critters from dimension eight; enemies of buckaroo
bonzai; beware the spider creatures they spit when they
need to escape an unwinnable confronatation".
Two nanoseconds of rational thought makes
me seek an alternate definition, but not finding
one, I have to conclude the name is a private joke.

That kind of thinking isn't good enough for building
reliable applications over component technology.  What
I need are repeatable test results that provide sufficient
assurance that the components has features to perform
the tasks I require and for which I require a legal
contract binding all parties to the performance.  This
is why for many applications, citing "IE5 only" is
the reasonable and responsible answer.

So back to the original question:  who here thinks
the future of the web is in "TheWebBrowser"?  What
all of you have shown conclusively (thank you) is that there
is no way to say what "TheWebBrowser" is, so the
parties have to pick one and go with that for the
duration of the contract.

The alternative to the W3C is to cite tests for
components.  That these components may implement
W3C specifications is assumed.   In lieu of
a means of proving that, alternatives are needed.

By the way, this is where the FPI has value.

len

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)