   RE: Alternatives to the W3C (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>, "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:51:02 -0500

Hi Tim,

Tim said:
Excuse me... this should not be necessary.  If a browser reads an
XML document and displays it using CSS, the DOM should be there, it's
a fully documented interface.  No magic or sidestepping should be necessary.

And if a browser doesn't support XML+DOM, it doesn't support XML. -Tim

Didier replies:
Tim, I read two times your answer and I am still puzzled. I do not
understand it.

Q: Do you imply that the DOM is not present for any XML document in IE5? A:
(my answer) no the DOM is present in IE5. The problem if the document is
rendered with CSS is that you do not have access to the DOM to create
interactivity. to do so, you need the DOM and scripts. Behaviors are
targeted for this usage.

Q: what, precisely, do you mean by "if a browser doesn't support XML+DOM, it
doesn't support XML". C: Actually, the IE5 browser support the DOM and can
parse XML and render it with either CSS or an archaic version of XSL. The
DOM, when used with JavaScript is exactly like it is recommended by the W3C
(since the only script language included in the recommendation is
JavaScript. Therefore, this is the only language we can know for sure if it
is or not compliant)

Can you be more precise, I do not understand what you mean.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web New York (http://www.mfweb.com)
Book to come soon: XML Pro published by Wrox Press
Products: http://www.netfolder.com

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)