   Re: Further work on Xlink

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:07:17 -0500

At 06:40 AM 1/24/00 -0500, Didier PH Martin wrote:
>Question: why not use the xlink extended to build the TOC hierarchy?
>Answer: because the Xlink:extended link contains anchors but itself do not
>refer to a resource. An xlink:extended link implies a one to many
>relationship. This construct seems more adapted to indexes, where each topic
>if found in many locations.

I think you're right on this point in general, though you could build a TOC
out of extended links using arcs to restrict the one-to-many down to
one-to-one without much difficulty.

If you're looking for an automated TOC builder, I think you might actually
find the 'restrained' extended link approach easier in some cases, though
the simple link approach is more intuitive.

(I argued for a long time that treating simple links as fundamentally
different critters from extended links is ridiculous, but seem not to have
won any ground on that point.  Arcs at least offer some kind of middle
ground now.)

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth