   Re: ANN: SAX 2.0 extension proposals.

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:19:48 -0800

Miles Sabin wrote:

>   http://www3.mistral.co.uk/miles/

Cool -- I'll look at it and comment.  I've certainly noticed a few
issues with the beta code drop, and the factory issue is one of them.

Now, it's been quite some time since I looked at Sun's proposal,
since it seemed too limited to be useful.  One of the few things
that seemd potentially interesting was a factory API that gave some
control over the objects returned -- you could say you needed a
validating parser, and that's what you'd get.

This is a call for comments on that functionality, which is (it
seems to me) what many applications would need.

The "XMLReaderImplementation" class you propose could be used by
such a factory to do its work.  Alternatively, such a factory
could be driven by a config file (in XML :-) describing various
parsers that are available.

- Dave

Please note: New list subscriptions and unsubscriptions
are  now ***CLOSED*** in preparation for list transfer to OASIS.