   Re: Namespace prefix question

  • From: Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: "XML developers' list" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 04 Feb 2000 14:06:56 +0000

0> In article <3.0.32.20000203134107.014d98d0@pop.intergate.ca>, Tim
0> wrote:

Tim> At 02:27 PM 2/3/00 -0500, Hunter, David wrote:

>> <hi:element xmlns:hi="http://www.sernaferna.com">
>>   <hi:element2 xmlns:hi="http://www.blah.com"/>
>> </hi:element>
>>
>> Regardless of the fact that this is probably a bad idea, is it
>> legal?  MSXML doesn't complain, and neither does the XML parser
>> bundled with XT (XP?).

Tim> Yes, bad idea.  Yes, legal. -T.

Bad idea?  This is what enables you to paste

  <hi:element2 xmlns:hi="http://www.blah.com"/>

into your document without having to care about the namespace bindings
of the enclosing elements.  Confusing to humans, perhaps[1], but much,
much easier for the software that reads much more of it than a human
ever will.

[1] heavily-namespaced documents are less readable than plain XML 1.0
    anyway, so I don't put too much weight on this.