   Re: The Power of Groves

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@isogen.com>, "cbullard@hiwaay.net" <"Len Bullard"@mail.HiWAAY.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:47:18 -0800

> Len Bullard wrote:
>
> > >W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
> Without this completely generic, universal, base, there is no
> way to meaningfully compare different data models to define, for
> example, how to map from one to other, because they are not defined in
> terms of a common definitional framework.

Object Role Modeling (ORM) is an effective solution for creating conceptual
models. Hopefully, the existing tools for ORM are being updated to support
XML (perhaps even groves).

See www.orm.net.

You said:
"UML, for example, provides a good data modeling language and a good
implementation specification language, but it doesn't provide a *data
instance representation* abstraction"

Terry Halpin said:
"Although the Unified Modeling Language (UML) facilitates software modeling,
its object-oriented approach is arguably less than ideal for developing and
validating conceptual data models with domain experts."

http://www.orm.net/uml_orm.html

"A comparison of UML and ORM for data modeling "
>From the proceedings of EMMSAD'98: 3rd IFIP WG8.I International Workshop on
Evaluation of Modeling Methods in Systems Analysis and Design
http://www.orm.net/pdf/orm-emm98.pdf

See you at SIGS Java Developer Conference (London, March 13-15, 2000)
www.javadevcon.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North