   Re: The Power of Groves

  • From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@isogen.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:27:50 -0600

Len Bullard wrote:

> > Freakin' bite me. I didn't know about it, for whatever reason.
>
> Are you sure?  You have no idea where my teeth have been lately. :-)
>
> Ok.
>
> I am *abusing* Eliot a little here because we need to have some
> better understandings in our community and this is an example
> of how easy the misunderstandings perpetuate, and in the rapid
> feedback of lists to lists to lists, amplify.

Point well taken.

> It is VERY possible that even where the community is small
> and as tightly knit as SGML was at that time, for efforts to occur
> that other members are completely unaware of.

History often comes down to the random events influencing a single
person. (Not that I'm suggesting that the development of HyTime was some
sort of major historical event, just that in group efforts, key results
it often comes down to one or two people. High dependence on initial
starting conditions.)

> Groves.  Let's keep going in this thread and see if it
> is the jewel.

Good. Let me stress that when I use the term "groves", I usually mean
"some technical solution that satisfies the requirements we tried to
satisfy with groves as defined in 10744". I have no long-term investment
in groves *as defined in 10744*. I would be perfectly happy if the W3C
developed from scratch some new way of doing what we did with groves. My
concern is with satisfying requirements, not perpetuating a particular
solution.

Cheers,

E.