   RE: Who would "bless" a Schema subset? (was Re: XML Schemas: Needs Marke

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>, "'Michael Champion'" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:22:20 -0500

At 12:58 PM 2/12/00 -0700, Arnold, Curt wrote:
>It has been hinted to me that the next XML Schema draft would be more
>"layered".  So the "blessing" could be from the W3C.

If such a thing were to happen, I think a lot of us would cheer!

>It is obvious that there are definitely a lot of features that
>make authoring easy (such as imports, includes, type inheritance,
>equivClasses) that should be "compiled" or "preprocessed" out before so
>that every validation attempt doesn't have to repeat the effort of
>fetching every imported schema, etc.

I'd really like to see this 'result' schema vocabulary specified formally
somewhere, even if it isn't at the W3C - it would make writing processors
much simpler, especially if the project you suggest below comes to pass.

>I've suggested an open-source effort to create XSLT transforms
>that perform this translation from the authoring schema to the
>validation subset and have gotten a few volunteers.  I've been
>waiting for the next draft of schema and some place to host the
>effort to become apparent.

This would be great to see.  Standardized components and a standard set of
simplifying transformations would make life much easier.

Now if we could take the Schematron approach of using XSLT to check
documents against the schema - well, that would be interesting.  (And as is
well known, I'm not even a large XSL fan.)

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com