   Re: XML Schemas: Needs Marketing?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson), xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:04:14 -0500

At 01:18 PM 2/15/00 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>Nothing in XML Schema will stand in the way of your writing
>DTD-transcription schemas, if that's all you need/want to do.  They
>won't benefit from the new facilities that are intended to make
>design, understanding and maintenance easier, but they won't burden
>the reader with new concepts either.

That's good to hear, and it sounds like the working group thought that one
through, but that's only the most obvious of many possible subsets...

Curt Arnold's suggestion of a validation subset
(http://www.egroups.com/group/xml-dev/18040.html?) is another intriguing
possibility, and I doubt that's the last one out there.

Curt also suggested in his post that the next draft might take a more
layered approach - that would would help with these kinds of projects.  I
think there may be as many subsets out there as there are definitions of
'easier'.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth