   Re: XML Schema WG changing gears

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:46:47 +0000

>The same could easily happen with schemas. What we
>have seen is that people on this list who are
>struggling to implement XML Schema (and I would add my
>voice strongly to this group) are seeking an
>explanation of why certain design decisions were made.
>It's hard to have any discussion about whether these
>decisions should be reversed without this information.
>We can all hold tight until the next spec release, I'm
>sure, before making concrete suggestions for changes.
>But I don't see any reason why someone in the WG can't
>make a public statement about the practical
>implications of the issues that have been raised:

There have been one or two occasions in the past when W3C working groups or
senior members of them have addressed questions or offered information to
this list. Sometimes this information has been in advance of a spec or
draft. All members of this list will realise that the membership and
business of XML-DEV is independent of any organisation (including OASIS).
XML-DEV has no formal standing other than that of a high-profile voluntary
meritocracy and it should continue in this way.

In my opinion XML-DEV has a constantly changing and critical role to play
in the XML developments. I have described some of this in the XML-deviant
interview. Initially I constrained the discussion to the actual emerging
XML1.0 to ensure focus. With the public acceptance of "XML" and the more
complex challenges, XML-DEV is now an important forum where early
implementers can voice real concerns. I deliberately refrained from
moderation last year and the discussion has, I think, shown the value of
the greater freedom.

I hope that W3C members will take serious note of implementation concerns
raised here - longstanding members will know my personal concern not to
over-elaborate and certainly not to design specs far in advance of
implementation. If W3C members wish to bring issues to XML-DEV then we have
a record of treating them openly and seriously.

	P.