   RE: ANN: SAX 2.0 extension proposals.

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:46:39 -0000

David Brownell wrote,
> So, have a look at my pipeline package.  It layers code to
> control some of those basic features, including validation.
> You'll start to see why I don't think putting it into the
> core of SAX is necessary.

Interesting, but, I think, orthogonal to the factory part of
my proposals. As a means of constucting chains of SAX event
processors it's quite nice (tho' I have a bit of a horror of
String based specifications), but it doesn't help to resolve
the bootstrap issue. At some point or another you'll still have
to programmatically reference some vendors parser. That means
either hard-wiring a reference to that parser into mainline
code, or coming up with an ad hoc factory solution.

Better to put that in the SAX core, I'd say.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews