   RE: ANN: SAX 2.0 extension proposals.

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:43:03 -0000

David Brownell wrote,
> Some chunk of code has to deal with configuration management,
> and parser selection is only one of many such issues.  I'd
> really rather that apps have internally consistent
> approaches, rather than expecting each subsystem to use a
> different framework for it.
>
> So IMHO it's actually good if the SAX2 core provides only
> minimal hooks (e.g. what I sent before), and thus forces apps
> to deal with their own configuration management issues in a
> consistent manner.
>
> And no, I wouldn't be in favor of SAX2 endorsing a particular
> scheme for configuration management.  It's an area where apps
> need to vary widely

This would be a good argument _if_ adoption of something along
the lines of the factory I proposed _excluded_ other forms
of configuration management. It doesn't tho', and one part of
it, the XMLReaderImplementation interface, would probably
_enable_ other configuration management mechanisms.

Funnily enough, the bare interface part isn't a million miles
away from your own minimalist proposal: see,

http://www3.mistral.co.uk/miles/doc/org/xml/sax/XMLReaderImplementation.html

The concrete factory/broker class OTOH could easily be
optional, and treated as a convenience implementation for those
applications which don't have much in the way of global
configuration management infrastructure.

> What you're talking about is more of what I'd call a
> "broker": provide a feature list, it assembles something
> suitable.

Part of my factory proposal is indeed a broker. The optional
part that is ...

> brokers tend to need LOTS of options to chose from before
> they get viable, in code or economic senses.

In general yes. WRT the SAX API they don't: SAX specifies a
simple boolean combination of features. That's relatively easy
to provide complete support for.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews