   Re: good book on XML

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: "'Rich Anderson'" <rja@arpsolutions.demon.co.uk>, "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:01:36 -0800

> My wife just found out she is pregnant. Making a baby only required one
> other participant (me), not 15. Why should books be any different? ;-)

Guess the baby book won't have cover photos of 15 men labelled "Dad."

> > death to all traditional publishers

There goes another industry! Let's see -- first there was a strong advocacy
for free software. Then the Web responded to "music should be free"
advocates (MP3 instead of CDs). Then books.

This phenomenon seems to be progressing to the next step. "Not only do I
want _____ for free, I'd like you to do this ______"

1. A publisher recently told me an author received an e-mail saying "I'm
working on a report and don't have time to read your book. Please summarize
it for me."

2. My e-mail included a gem recently. Instead of the usual "How do I"
question, it said "I read ....... Please send a white paper and slide
presentation."

3. The next step is predictable:

"Please summarize your book and send it to me as XML (UTF-8 and UTF-16,
style sheets for IE 5.x and Mozilla)."

See you at Java Developer Conference (London, March 13-15, 2000)
www.javadevcon.com
XML One (Austin, March 29-31, 2000) www.xmlconference.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North